Make Rovaniemi your destination if you want to see the night sky transformed into a blaze of color when the aurora borealis puts on a show.
Choosing a great observation spot at the right time of year greatly increases your chances of seeing the spellbinding Northern Lights in Rovaniemi, Lapland. Fortunately, the Scandinavian Travel Group knows exactly where to take you. Our guided tours are carefully planned with the help of professional guides who have local knowledge of the area.
What is the right time of year to see the Northern Lights in Rovaniemi?
Although the lights are active all year round, you simply won’t see a colourful light show in bright daylight. Ideally, you need complete darkness if you want to see the aurora borealis in all its glory. Therefore, the winter months in Lapland are a great time to plan your Northern Lights hunting expedition. This can be any time from late October through to April. The shorter days and darker nights in Rovaniemi create the perfect black backdrop to host this phenomenal light display.
You need the weather on your side, too. Dark, clear skies emphasize the colour intensity of the lights. No one can control the weather or chase away the clouds but we can track the weather forecast. This allows us to predict when you are more likely to experience the lights.
The Northern Lights are an unpredictable force of nature. There is no guarantee that you will see them. However, this simply adds to the build-up and excitement of the occasion. It is like waiting for the magic to happen. Aurora borealis doesn’t adhere to a schedule. However, we know that between the hours of 7pm and 2am are a good time to keep your eyes open. Around midnight has often proved a popular time to see them, so make sure you don’t fall asleep too early.
7 Ways to Increase Your Chances of Seeing the Northern Lights in Rovaniemi:
- 1. Choose the right location. Go to a destination inside the Aurora zone. For example, head to Lapland.
- 2. Go during the winter months when the nights are longer and darker in Lapland.
- 3. Keep away from any artificial light pollution of towns and villages. Ask the locals to direct you to the best places to see the aurora borealis.
- 4. Download an aurora alerts app on your phone. These applications can help with aurora tracking in Rovaniemi.
- 5. Watch the forecast. The weather can be unpredictable in Lapland so make sure you pay attention to regular weather updates.
- 6. Go on a guided tour. Professional guides with local knowledge will take you to the best spots with great viewing potential while you wait for the Aurora to become active.
- 7. Aurora hunting is a waiting game. Prepare to stay up late. It could happen a couple of hours before or after midnight. The Northern Lights are worth the wait!
Highlights of Northern Lights Tours in Rovaniemi
When you are planning your Lapland holiday itinerary, be sure to explore all your options. These include:
- • Aurora hunting on a reindeer safari in Rovaniemi
- • Husky safari at night to see the Lights
- • Snowmobile safari in search of the Northern Lights
- • Northern Lights by car in Rovaniemi
Each tour planned by the Scandinavian Travel Group is an unforgettable experience. We know that for many people seeing the Northern Lights is one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences. This is why it is so important to get the details right. We can’t guarantee you will see the lights but we can make sure you have a great time while you wait.
Our Northern lights tours in Rovaniemi include the following:
- • Listening to the local guide talk about myths, legends and stories of the Northern Lights in Rovaniemi.
- • Enjoying warming drinks under the Lapland night sky and grill traditional Finnish makkara sausages on an open fire.
- • Look up! There are plenty of stargazing opportunities in Rovaniemi.
- • Your guide will always pay close attention to the night sky. You won’t miss out on your chance to see the Northern Lights if they make an appearance.
Northern Lights photography in Rovaniemi
If you are lucky enough to see the Northern Lights in Rovaniemi you can celebrate the moment with your camera. We can arrange for our guide to take photos and videos for you. The cost of taking the photos and sending them to you are all included in the tour price.
Book to see the Northern Lights in Rovaniemi
Make it a winter vacation to remember. Include a tour of the Northern Lights in Rovaniemi in your schedule. We’ll make all the arrangements for you. We also offer several other tour options for the ultimate Northern Light hunting experience.
- • Snowmobile safari to see the Northern Lights in Rovaniemi
- • Snowshoeing at night to hunt for the aurora borealis
- • Horse riding after dark
- • Nighttime reindeer safari
You can book these tours and activities directly from us.
Simply book online or email us: email@example.com and our travel agent will be in touch. Or call/WhatsApp/Viber +358 400 514 530.