Season: May – September
Price: from 1220 EUR
During this tour you will visit many travel destinations and find the most famous atractions. You can admire different kinds of arts and some of the Lakelands thousands of lakes. Feel the modern atmosphere mixed with interesting history and wonder landscapes from the bird’s eye view.
- Drive through the beautiful scenery of the Lakeland
- Linnansaari National Park
- Medieval life at the Olavinlinna Castle
- Lake Saimaa steamboat cruise / seal watching cruise
- World’s largest wooden church
- Baking Karelian pies
- Discovering interesting sculptures by Veijo Rönkkönen
- Wooden Old Town of Porvoo
- Chance to experience the Finnish sauna
Day 1: Arrival in Helsinki – Rantasalmi 315 km
Flight on own arrangements to Helsinki-Vantaa (morning arrival preferable). Meet your driver-guide at the airport and proceed driving towards Lakeland. On our way to Rantasalmi, we’ll have a possible lunch stop on the road in Mikkeli.
Accommodation at the hotel overlooking Lake Saimaa.
Day 2: Linnansaari National Park
A cruise to Linnansaari National Park (extra charge). This national park comprises 98 square kilometres of islands and water. It is also home to the endangered Saimaa ringed seal and one of the largest birds in Finland, the osprey. Linnavuori Trail 7 km, circle trail: hike through the varied forests of Linnansaari Island, from the sun-baked rocks to the cool shade of deciduous woods. You will be rewarded with a magnificent view of the Saimaa archipelago from the top of Linnavuori Rock, reached by climbing metal stairs.
Relax and pamper yourself in the Spa Hotel Järvisydän (payable locally).
Day 3: Rantasalmi – Savonlinna – Imatra 200 km
Today you will see some real gems of Lakeland. You’ll get to visit Olavinlinna castle, the world’s northernmost medieval castle in the world, and the crown jewel of Savonlinna. It is located in the city centre in the midst of beautiful lake scenery. It is best known as the stage of the world-famous Savonlinna Opera Festival in July.
Only during summer: a steamship cruise in the Savonlinna archipelago (extra charge) is a wonderful way to spend a summer’s day.
We’ll drive to the Punkaharju ridge area, which is one of the oldest nature reserves in the world and one of the most beautiful parts of Finland. The unique combination of impressive eskers and stunning lake views has for centuries inspired artists and atracted travellers.
The tour continues towards Imatra, but on the way, we will stop at Kerimäki wooden church, the world’s largest Christian wooden church having the most spacious interior in Finland. Will have a coffee stop at own expense before visit the Parikkala Sculpture park. It is an outdoor museum, an art collective representing around 560 different sculptures known also as a paradise garden.
Imatra is situated in the southeast of Finland where it rubs shoulders with the Russian border. Imatrankoski has been a famous tourist atraction already 300 hundred years ago, and it was considered as one of Europe’s most known atractions.
Overnight in Imatra.
Day 4: Imatra – Puumala – Sahanlahti 150 km
Lakeland is not only known for beautiful scenic roads, but it also has a good reputation when it comes to local delicacies. You will get to join a Karelian pie workshop and make your own delicious Karelian pies with a lovely local hostess. Light lunch will be served atier the workshop.
The day continues with some more scenic roads to Rakokivi geological formations from the ice age at Saimaa Geopark Geosite. In the evening you’ll have free time on own with the possibility to hire rowing boats or try the Finnish sauna.
Evening seal watching cruise by Ecoboat, 3 hours (extra charge). Experience the beauty of lake Saimaa and spot rare Saimaa Ringed Seal, without worrying about eventually cold or rainy weather. Ecoboat is weather-proof and comfortable for people of all ages. Join captain Arto on a Seal watching cruise by his unique electric Ecoboat. You will get a great and relaxing nature experience, and with some luck see a rare Saimaa Seal.
Overnight at Sahanlahti Resort.
Day 5: Sahanlahti – Lappeenranta – Porvoo 280 km
Lappeenranta, starting point for the historical Saimaa canal waterway from Lake Saimaa to the Gulf of Finland, hosts Finland’s oldest orthodox church located within the Fortress of Lappeenranta, a lively meeting point of three cultures dating back to history.
It's time to say goodbye to Lakeland. But the fun is not over yet as we spend an exciting atiernoon in Porvoo. En route to Porvoo, we will have a quick stop at Salpa Line bunkers. The Salpa Line is a bunker line on the eastern border of Finland, and it was in use during the Continuation war in 1941-1944.
Once we arrive at the idyllic town of Porvoo, your tour leader will take you on Porvoo guided walking tour where you can discover Porvoo’s well-preserved wooden houses and picturesque cobble-stoned streets. The city’s town plan is from the Middle Ages, with small houses, picturesque yards and narrow streets for a historically unique milieu. You’ll see the red warehouses on the riverbanks, hear stories about seafaring and trading, as well as visit the beautiful medieval cathedral. After the guided tour you’ll have some free time to browse delightiul shops and cratismen’s workshops.
We suggest to stay overnight at Haikko Manor’s SPA hotel, where you can enjoy a nice walk in the Manor’s garden before going to bed.
Day 6: Departure
Buffet breakfast at the hotel before transferring to Helsinki-Vantaa airport and flights on own arrangements back home.
- Premium SUV or Premium minivan at disposal for all days, max. 8 hours per day
- English speaking driver and tour leader all in one throughout the tour
- Driving through the beautiful scenery of the Lakeland
- Visit Olavinlinna Castle
- Visit Kerimäki Wooden Church
- Visit Rakokivi geological formations
- Visit Parikkala sculpture park
- Karelian pie baking workshop with light lunch
- See some the Salpa line bunkers en route
- Guided walking tour of Porvoo
- 5-nights accommodation in twin/dbl room in a chosen hotel/resort category with breakfast (see below our recommendations)
- Cruise and hiking trip to Linnansaari National Park (15.5 – 31.10): 60 eur/adult, 25 eur/child 4-12
- Lakeside sauna (max. 2 pax) or Forest sauna (max. 4 pax) experience in Rantasalmi: 250 eur
- Lakeland Steamship Cruise in Savonlinna (1.6 – 24.9): 30 eur/adult, 20 eur/child 4-16
- Evening seal watching cruise by Ecoboat in Puumala (1.5 – 30.9): 90 eur/adult, 60 eur/child 2-11
- Sauna experience at Sahanlahti resort – payable locally
- Please contact us for more detailed information about the tour and price at firstname.lastname@example.org
RecommendationWe recommend following accommodation for this tour:
Rantasalmi: Oravi apartments 3*; Jarvisydan Hotel 4*; Kuru Villa 5*
Imatra: Holiday Club Saimaa (hotel rooms and apartments)
Sahanlahti: Sahanlahti Resort (hotel rooms and villas)
Porvoo: Hotel Sparre Porvoo 3*; Haikko Hotel Manor&Spa (Modern and Manor building)
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 14 days or less before the event